Monday, April 9, 2012

Cutting Weight for the Trip

As of today there are 96 days left before we take our first step onto the trail in Glacier National Park.  In light of this I will be stepping up my conditioning program to ensure that I am in the best possible shape and highest level of fitness for this adventure. 

Up until this point I have been primarily relying on cutting weight as a means to increase my performance on the trail and thus minimize the opportunity for injury or to slow the group down.  I have been doing this by primarily reducing my caloric intake.  Using the knowledge that 3500 calories = 1 pound, by eliminating 3500 calories from my diet over some time interval I am able to lose 1 pond of weight.  It is much easier to eat less than it is to excercise. 

Skipping out on eating one Snickers candy bar (280 calories) is the equivalent of walking a a 3.5mph pace for 45 minutes.

My favorite exercise during this time has been the Table Push Away.  The Table Puch Away is when you push away from the table and quit eating so damn much.

This chart shows my decrease in body weight so far this year, with a goal of being at or below 200 lbs by the time we leave.

If I maintain my current caloric intake levels and activity I should be at 200 lbs by July 1st.  This is determined by calculating how may calories I need to maintain my current weight (2292 calories per day) and then factoring in 1500-2000 calories of actual consumption.  If I am able to maintain a strict 1500 calorie a day lifestyle I would be able to cut down to almost 180 lbs by the time we get on the trail.

Any cardio exercise that I do also helps my calorie ratio, activities, like waking, biking, and playing basketball all burn calories.  I've made a consious decision to not "eat" the calories that I burn.  I will maintain my eating lifestyle independent of added calorie output. 

Any strength training that I do will offset my calorie ration.  Lean muscle/mass weighs more than fat mass does.

No comments:

Post a Comment