Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Planning a Route Through the Park

I scoured the Internet high and low to find trail maps and information on backpacking and backcountry camping in Glacier.

The U.S. National Park Service website was a great place to start:  http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

My initial route through the park involved hiking from East Glacier train station to West Glacier train station, or vice-versa.  The overall distance for this route is about 52 miles. Being at the mercy of the campground locations I would have to go: Day 1 - 7 miles, Day 2 - 7 miles, Day 3 - 13.5 miles, Day 4 - 9 miles, Day 5 - 13.5 miles, and Day 6 - 12 miles (East to west).  The campsites along this route (TMC, NON, UPN, LNY, HAR) do not all open up for reservations until July 15th.  The park service does not take reservations for dates prior to the published opening date.  The published opening date is when the campground is typically free of snow.  Walk in's may be allowed earlier than that, but I really need to have things on the books for this trip, it's too far to travel to not be guaranteed campsites that fit with the itinerary.

I found a map of the park that shows the terrain and am a little discouraged at how little I will actually be in the mountains.  For the time investment I would like to be in the mountains a bit more (and I am looking for a bit more of a challenge).

No comments:

Post a Comment